I get better at doing the Small Press Expo every year. It was was my second year as a volunteer, which was a lot of fun, and I met a lot of interesting artists. Unfortunately, I missed the Ignatz Awards because the five minute laydown I planned turned into five hours. Oops. I also forgot my camera, so the only picture I took was on my phone of a package of creamed herring at Ize’s Deli nearby.
Here’s my haul from SPX 2010. Almost all of what I picked up this year isn’t easily available in average comic stores, so there are links throughout the list to the artists or publishers. Look for reviews in the upcoming weeks. And all I plan to do this upcoming weekend is read!
- Kevin Days a Week: Year Three by Kevin Burkhalter
- American, Eh? #4 and #5 by Heather Bryant
- Is it the Future Yet: Stories by Corinne Mucha
- Troop 142 #4 and #5 by Mike Dawson
- Release the Bats by Liz Baillie
- Ha Ha Constance Planck: A Selection and Sandcastle Syndrome by Hilary Allison
- Ten Thousand Things to Do #6 by Jesse Reklaw
- Owe Apostrope by O’Shell
- Yes, Let’s by Galen Goodwin Longstreth & Maris Wicks
- Invincible Summer 19 / Clutch 22 by Nicole G and Clutch McB (Note: Papercutter #14 from Tugboat Press also debuted at the show.)
- It’s Dream Time Snoop Doggy Dogg by JT Yost
- Caboose (compilation)
- Radio: Truly Crucial Rock and Roll
- Your Disease Spread Quick by Tom Neely
- Henry and Glenn Forever
- Diary and L.A. Diary by Gabrielle Bell
- Phase 7 #014 and Transition by Alec Longstreth (and his amazing beard)
- Germs by Adam Bomb and Ray Decay
- Adventures in Stereo by Aaron DeLaRosa
- Coal by Jeff Sharp
- Diary Comics by Dustin Harbin
- Four Squares by Joe Quinones, Maris Wicks, Liz Prince, and Tim Finn.
- Square Dance by Colin Tedford
- Play and Time anthologies from the Trees & Hills Comic Group
- Anyone but Virginia #4 by Zac Crockett and Josh Eiserike
- Assholes #3 by Josh Eiserike and Mitch Roth
- Hive Four (Anthology)
- Afrodisiac and Mixed Up by Jim Rugg
- WIZZYWIG 3: Fugitive by Ed Piskor
- Dad: A Documentary Graphic Novel by Scott King
- Cavalcade of Boys Collection by Tim Fish
I missed out on getting a copy of Octopus Pie by Meredith Gran, so I’ll be ordering one soon.
Not pictured: several issues of Smile Hon, You're in Baltimore, delivered in person by the publishers.
Hey Pais for Mooch. Man, did he pounce on that when I got it home. He’s been alternating between running around at full speed, staring at his paw, and eating enormous amounts of kibble. They will be available soon in Pais' Etsy shop, so you too can enable your kitty!